Friday, June 1, 2012

New Recipe

So last night I made a new recipe.  One that if you know me, you know I would never in a million years eat myself.  But I am trying really hard to cook things for my boys that they like, because I'm such a picky eater.  So last night I made Mexican Beef Soup.  Technically the recipe is Mexican Chicken Soup, but Daniel isn't big on chicken.  I did not get a picture of it, because truthfully it looked rather dreadful.  But it was fabulous.  Well per my guys anyways.

Ingredients:
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes (Mexican Style)
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
1 14.5-ounce can sodium-reduced chicken broth or 2 cups homemade chicken broth (I used beef broth)
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast (I used 1 lb stew meat)


Directions:

1. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper in large saucepan

2. Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken.  Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan.  Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.  (I let the stew meat cook on simmer for about 30 minutes and it made it just right)


3. Remove the chicken and place on a plate; use forks to shred the chicken.  Return the shredded chicken to the soup.

4. Service with choice of garnishes.

***Optional Garnishes include: Chipped cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, light sour cream, shredded cheese***

I was actually given this recipe and a bunch of others from the Health Clinic  Daniel wants me to do it the next time with some Rice.  So we shall see.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment